While initially Ward and Dale Smith covered most aspects of surveying and architectural works, in recent years it has increasingly focused on the following areas:
- Reports on historic buildings (e.g. pre-purchase, quinquennial, condition surveys, etc.),
- Reports on specific aspects of buildings, particularly relating to damp and timber problems and structural defects.
- Organising and overseeing building works normally arising from such reports (e.g. specification, design, statutory approvals, contractual matters, etc.).
- Planning consultancy mostly related to historic buildings including pre-application discussions with local authority conservation officers, etc.
- Preparation of expert witness reports.